When you look up images of some geometric designs on the internet, you will see a lot of beautiful and unique looking images that will most definitely get you intrigued. They all seem complex, but the actual concept is quite simple. Geometric illustration is a form of art technique where a lot of shapes, curves and volumes come together and form different images. When done right, the end result could be something of a masterpiece. You will get the utmost satisfaction when you end up creating something just out of different geometric shapes. Today, we’ll go through some of the tips to get you started on geometric designs.
- Use basic shapes: When you’re just starting out, try not to create anything complex. Stick to using basic shapes to create simple images, like a house with triangles for roof and rectangles for the doors and windows. This will give you a basic idea of using the shapes accurately.
- Create abstract images: The images you create using shapes do not necessarily have to be something recognizable. It could be any random image as long as it is aesthetically pleasing. It is encouraged to draw something absolutely random with different colors and more often than not, you will end up with something unique and different.
- Overlapping shapes: Speaking of abstract images, it is also encouraged to overlap several shapes on top of each other. With different shapes and curves overlapping with each other will give you a new perspective and it will help you understand this art style better.
- Discover new shapes: Once you think you have grasped the basics of geometric design, try moving on to a bit more complex shapes. For example, a prism could have the base of a sphere to give it a look similar to a water droplet. You could even have half a square and half a circled jammed together. Experiment with shapes like this and you will find yourself having a lot of fun with them.
- Go digital: It does not always have to be pencil and paper.There are plenty of software online that will help you make yourself better at geometric design. There are even more tutorials available online that are simple enough to understand. And the best part is that you can use two or more software to utilize their unique features to get that perfect image you have on your mind.
I hope these few tips help you in making geometric illustration as a hobby. Once you get the hang of it, you can have a lot of fun trying to come up with different images.